What we do
Jou Nouvo's commitment to Haiti
In early 2008, Haitian native Kerline Tofuri founded Jou Nouvo to respond to the needs and aspirations of the poor in Bon Repos, Haiti, where she grew up. Soon thereafter, Jou Nouvo, a 501(c)3 organization, began its first programs: Adult Literacy, Basic Health Instruction, Small Business Loans, and Child Sponsorships.
More than a decade later, Jou Nouvo has successfully maintained these programs and added more. We have also helped the Haitian people during devastating natural disasters: Haiti’s 2010 Earthquake and Hurricane Matthew in 2016.
We continue to facilitate partnerships between charitable people and Bon Repos. Our programs have given the Haitian people the power to create a cycle of new hope for themselves, their families, and their community.
Jou Nouvo is dedicated to creating a cycle of full economic empowerment through education.
Learn more about what we do
Girls Scholars Program
Our building Fund
Jou Nouvo seeks to improve the quality of life in Bon Repos, Haiti. We provide children and adults with the tools of education, access to basic health care and instruction, and economic stability. Jou Nouvo is committed to forming partnerships with talented individuals and established institutions to rejuvenate the community.
What we've achieved
Jou Nouvo encourages children and families to prioritize education.
This allows families to send their children to school regularly. Children don’t miss days or months of school due to a shortage of funds.
Some of these children would likely not get to be in a learning environment until they are 5 or 6 years old. Early education gives them a better start in life.
Sponsored children love exchanging letters with the sponsors, which motivates them to succeed. Some sponsored children and families have even met their sponsors — they love it!
Long Term Goals
Our Goals are substantive:
- The Jou Nouvo Community Center is up and running and is central part of the Bon Repos Community.
- Our programs serve ~2 times the people in three years.
- Our team in Bon Repos continues to expand with increased hiring to boost local programs, partnerships, impact, and presence.
- Young Women, girls continue to be a special focus to boost education access and increase their possibility of breaking the cycle of poverty.
- Our Haiti Youth Education Fund has become well established as a vibrant program that differentiates Jou Nouvo with successful university graduates returning to Bon-Repos, creating jobs, building economic activity, and showing secondary students a pathway to a better future.
- Jou Nouvo has raised the standard of living in the entire Bon Repos community, broadly increasing access to quality education for all ages.
- Education translates directly to sustainable economic growth and positive community development by Jou Nouvo helping plant the seeds for entrepreneurial opportunities in the community